Archive for the ‘Engine Work’ Category


Well the day has finally gotten here the Merc will fire on it own and stay running! Had a chance to drop through the gears and to my delight the transmission works wonderfully. The brakes are still a little tough, so I need to bleed them again.  We have the wiring to finish up and last but not least the damn body work! Its been crazy in the garage as there are so many damn projects we are working on that I sometime don’t touch my car for a few days. With the warm weather coming around it really puts the excitement back into getting the car done and just crusin!


Took roughly two weeks or so to have the new aluminum radiator made for the merc. It’s almost an exact replica of the original radiator.



Here is the 256 as it looked when we pulled it out of the merc.

before

Here is the motor now as it will go into the merc when she’s ready.

July 10 006


Since we have a balancer in house (Cemb Digital Machine) it was a no brainier to go ahead and  dynamic balance my assemble. There are many benefits that go with balancing your assemble such as less wear on the main bearings and reducing stress on the crankshaft.  Our bob-weight for this motor is allot heaver then what we usually see when we spin up race motors.  The bob-weight on this little 256 Y- Block is “2009” that’s heavy! The pistons and rings alone were “751”.  Here is the before and after balance  information :

  • First spin we were 16.2 grams out in the back and 5.6 grams out in the front
  • Final spin we were .19 hundreds of a gram in the back  and .11 hundreds of a gram in the front


     Our “NEW” Bessel 4 bolt Splayed Caps for the Ford 390 FE were a huge hit at last week-ends Muscle car reunion and Nostalgia drags.  The 390 FE has been in some dire need for a better main cap for some time now and we have designed and installed the first set that lock into the block and eliminated the main cap from closing up under high performance conditions. Please send any comments or remarks to me at jason@besselmotorsports I would really appreciate your feedback and thoughts.


What are Bessel Blocks?

For years, the aftermarket has relied on “main support” systems to strengthen stock (and after-market) engine blocks, as a way to stop the main caps from moving around under pressure. Here at Bessel Motorsports we have taken that idea a step further, by actually creating a system that works by machining a register into the main saddle of your block and then producing our own high-quality Billet main caps to work in tandem with the machining process. When you start creating horsepower in your blocks regardless if they are a 2 bolt or 4 bolt block’s the only thing holding your main caps or splayed caps in place is the register of the block and your hardware. When your motor is running, especially under highly loaded conditions, the crankshaft is being twisted and is trying to move the main caps. In other word the crankshaft is trying to kick itself out of the block. With enough horsepower the crankshaft will move the caps inward causing “cap chatter” . Once this occurs your main caps are no longer register into your block and your caps have become egg shaped. If this goes unattended for a period of time you can crack the main webbing or even worse split the block down the cam journals.

For Intrest in Blocks contact: Bessel Motorsports or strokerkits.com


     Its been a busy week here. I have decked the block from the deck height of 9.770″ to 9.734″  a difference of .036″ I am going to be placing the piston .002″ in the hole. The block was not very square from the factory at all the CNC machine really straightened out the block.  Hopefully this and the amount I removed from the cylinder heads will give me a little more compression in a motor that only had 8.1 from the factory.  I also purchased the Rust-mort and “Black” etching primer for the car, so hopefully if the weather works in my favor I will be sanding the car down this week-end.


I have the cylinder heads done now. I went with a set of 292 heads off of a 57 Y- Block. I also went with a 57 4-Barrel manifold. Since the 256 has such low compression I decided to mill a little of the cylinder heads to raise the compression. I ended up installing new guides and exhaust seat’s  through out. I cut the cylinder heads .025″ and had to cut the Intake side to make sure the Intake would bolt up properly. I’m going to deck the block as well and most likely put the piston .002″ in the hole.  I believe somewhere in the mix of these photos is also the power steering assembly I found that will work on the car. It took a while to get that bad boy cleaned up and looking half decent.